How to plan a destination wedding in 2022 - 2023
- Author: Natali Grace Levine
- Reading time: 3 min 52 sec
- Publication date: 13/05/2022
A wedding is a very important event in your life. It’s no wonder that you wish for everything to go perfectly on that day. If you dream about a luxe destination wedding, it will require more preparation. However, with a bit bigger effort you can make it happen. We have gathered information on FAQ to help you plan the best destination wedding in 2022-2023.
What to start with the destination wedding planningPhoto by Assal Photographer
A destination wedding presupposes a beautiful ceremony and memorable celebration. But it requires more effort to organize. You will find below the initial steps to planning a destination wedding:
Choosing a destination for your ceremonyPhoto by @sophiemayphoto
It is the first and obvious step because many other organizational details stem from the location, such as the weather, the tourists, and the budget.
Estimate your budget
It’s highly important to consider your budget when planning a destination wedding to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Consider the traveling expenses and accommodation costs. If you book a destination wedding in a foreign country you should also mind the possible currency change.
Compose a guest list
Usually, the grooms invite only the closest family and friends to a destination wedding. But with ample resources, you can make a big guest list, of course. You need to decide who pays for the ticket fare: you or the guests. Also, it’s best to extend your invitation early to book the most convenient accommodation for your guests.
Arrange the work terms with the non-local specialists
If you want to ensure that your wedding ceremony and celebration go without a hitch, you need to take some specialists with you, such as your hairdresser, make-up artist, or photographer. However, you should negotiate with them if they are available for the dates and can perform their services at your planned destination.
Do I need a wedding planner for a destination weddingPhoto by @spostophoto
Destination wedding planning starts with making time for its organization. However, if you are busy and don’t have the time for organizational tasks, you can use the services of a wedding planner. A bonus for the wedding planner is the opportunity to save money for organizational requirements because they know how to get the best deal.
A wedding planner can also help you cope with a language barrier, which may create problems in booking everything correctly. A specialist will solve this problem and avoid any misunderstandings in communication. If you are not planning to use wedding planner services, another option is to hire an on-site coordinator that will help with the organization of your dream wedding at its location.
What to ask a destination wedding plannerPhoto by @videoparis
Usually, wedding planners will ask you many questions to figure out your wedding plans and dreams. However, you can ask your wedding organizer some questions yourself to make sure you are on the same page and you can rely on this person. Here are several questions you need to ask your prospective destination wedding planner:
- What’s the approximate budget for the weddings they have organized?
- Have you ever planned a destination wedding before?
- What destination wedding planner packages can you offer?
- Can I see the photos of the other destination weddings you have organized?
- Which destination wedding specialists do you work with?
- Do I need to sign a contract to use your services and do you require a deposit to start working?
Can you plan a destination wedding in 6 months?
Planning a destination wedding in 6 months is a challenge, but it is possible. You don’t need a luxury destination wedding planner to do that. You need to secure the main vendors you rely on: the photographer, music band, chef, and florist. The wedding planner can help you organize all these services in such a short period of time, but you need to choose a location first to book a destination wedding. After you choose a location, you need to book accommodation for the number of guests you are planning to invite. If the location, accommodation, guests, and vendors are available for the chosen date, the rest is just small details that are easily arranged within 6 months.
What to expect from a destination weddingPhoto by @mckenziecoylephotography
Having a destination wedding is not like arranging a local ceremony. However, there are some things you can anticipate so that your destination wedding goes as planned:
- Change of time. A different time zone at the destination of your wedding celebration may cause inconveniences at first. Therefore, it is suggested to arrive a day or two before the celebration starts so that you and your guests will have some time to adapt to the local time.
- Climate and weather differences. There will probably be different weather at the destination of your wedding celebration. You should keep it in mind when choosing your wedding dress and costume. Also, warn your guests about the weather differences so that they pick appropriate outfits.
- Tours on site. When you arrive at the wedding destination, you and your guests will want to explore the location, especially if it’s the first time they visit this place. Book a short tour in advance so that the local guide will show you the most beautiful sights and get you acquainted with the place.
A destination wedding is the dream of many. The best way to plan a destination wedding this year is to organize the main details in advance. However, it is also possible to do it in 6 months. Hire a wedding planner to choose the best place to have a destination wedding on a budget. You should also make sure your guests can join you for the celebration and agree on the dates with the local and non-local vendors. Mind the change of date and time for your wedding day to go perfectly.