Wedding Photography in New York: Tips & Advice For Brides From Top Photographers: Alex Knight
- Author: Natali Grace Levine
- Reading time: 4 min 0 sec
- Publication date: 28/04/2023
- What’s your favorite location for shooting the engagement in NYC?
- What locations can you advise for the first look photoshoot in NY?
- Have you got a list of venues where you like to work the most? Name a few of them
- What hotels would you recommend for getting ready photoshoots in New York?
- What makes a great wedding photograph?
- What’s your main advice to brides for managing stress?
- What’s your main advice for couples to feel comfortable in front of the camera?
- What advice can you give future brides in choosing the right photographer for their big day?
Planning a wedding can be one of the most exciting times in a couple's life, but it can also be overwhelming and stressful. One of the most important aspects of any wedding is the photography, as these images will capture the memories of the day for a lifetime. To help ensure that brides have the best wedding photos possible, we asked Alex Knight, a professional wedding photographer with years of experience capturing beautiful and authentic moments. In this interview, Alex shares his top wedding photography tips for brides, answers common wedding photographer questions, and provides valuable advice for a stress-free wedding day. Whether you're a bride-to-be or just love photography, keep reading for some expert insight and inspiration!
What’s your favorite location for shooting the engagement in NYC?
If you're planning an engagement or wedding photoshoot in Central Park, you've chosen an incredible location! Here are some interesting facts about Central Park that will make your photoshoot even more special:
- Central Park is one of the most filmed and photographed locations in the world, and for good reason. With over 840 acres of lush greenery, gardens, lakes, and iconic landmarks like Bethesda Fountain and the Bow Bridge, there are endless opportunities for beautiful photos.
- Did you know that Central Park has its own resident population of squirrels, birds, and other wildlife? Be on the lookout for these furry friends as they make great photo props.
- The park is also home to some beautiful sculptures, such as the Alice in Wonderland statue and the Balto statue, which make great backdrops for photos.
- For a more secluded and romantic photoshoot, head to the Shakespeare Garden or the Conservatory Garden, both of which are stunning in their own right.
- Central Park is a popular spot for proposals, and there are many romantic spots to pop the question, such as the Cherry Hill Fountain or the Belvedere Castle.
- Finally, if you're planning a winter photoshoot, make sure to check out Wollman Rink, which transforms into a magical ice skating rink during the winter months.
What locations can you advise for the first look photoshoot in NY?
“Private location. Hotel or apartment”
Have you got a list of venues where you like to work the most? Name a few of them
“Rockleigh Country Club, Tribeca Rooftop, Pier 60, The Plaza, Lotte Palace, Cipriani”
- The Rockleigh Country Club is a luxurious wedding venue located in Bergen County, New Jersey. With its beautiful gardens, ballrooms, and gourmet cuisine, it's the perfect place for couples looking for a classic and elegant wedding.
- Tribeca Rooftop is a stunning loft-style wedding venue located in the heart of downtown Manhattan. With its breathtaking views of the city skyline, spacious event spaces, and modern industrial design, it's a popular choice for couples looking for a trendy and unique wedding venue.
- Pier 60 is an iconic wedding venue located on Chelsea Piers, with stunning views of the Hudson River and the city skyline. Its large open space, modern design, and state-of-the-art amenities make it the perfect venue for couples looking for a chic and sophisticated wedding.
- The Plaza Hotel is a legendary New York City landmark, with its grand ballrooms, ornate decor, and luxurious amenities. It's the perfect venue for couples looking for a fairytale wedding with a touch of old-world glamour and elegance.
- The Lotte Palace is a luxurious wedding venue located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, with its stunning ballrooms, crystal chandeliers, and high-end amenities. It's the perfect venue for couples looking for a sophisticated and upscale wedding.
- Cipriani is a world-renowned event space and restaurant, known for its opulent decor, gourmet cuisine, and classic Italian style. With multiple locations throughout New York City, it's a popular choice for couples looking for a chic and elegant wedding venue.
What hotels would you recommend for getting ready photoshoots in New York?
“Conrad, Plaza, Pierre, Mandarin Oriental, Beekman, The Greenwich Hotel, The Bowery Hotel”
- The Conrad is a luxurious hotel located in Battery Park City, offering stunning views of the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty. Its spacious and modern guest rooms make it the perfect place for couples to get ready for their wedding photoshoot.
- The Plaza is a legendary New York City landmark, with its grand and opulent decor, luxurious amenities, and central location on Fifth Avenue. Its elegant guest rooms and suites provide the perfect backdrop for their wedding photosession.
- The Pierre is a luxurious hotel located on Fifth Avenue, with its stunning decor, elegant ballrooms, and high-end amenities.
- The Mandarin Oriental is a luxurious hotel located in Columbus Circle, with its stunning views of Central Park and the city skyline.
- The Beekman is a historic hotel located in downtown Manhattan, with its stunning architecture, elegant decor, and upscale amenities.
- The Greenwich Hotel is a luxurious boutique hotel located in Tribeca, with its stunning decor, rustic charm, and high-end amenities.
- The Bowery Hotel is a trendy boutique hotel located in the heart of the Lower East Side, with its chic and stylish decor, elegant guest rooms, and high-end amenities. It's the perfect place for couples to get ready for their wedding photoshoot with a touch of modern sophistication.
What makes a great wedding photograph?
“Simple, timeless, un posed, natural, soft expressions, candid, good lighting and composition, good timing”
What’s your main advice to brides for managing stress?
“Let other people stress about things, your day is about the partner that you are marrying, and that's all that matters”
What’s your main advice for couples to feel comfortable in front of the camera?
“Forget I’m even there most of the time, have fun with each other, be playful and silly, pretend you’re drunk or take one of the shooters I bring along, don't over think things”
What advice can you give future brides in choosing the right photographer for their big day?
“See a full gallery, don't just hire someone because they have a nice Instagram, ask why they chose to be a photographer, see some prints or albums”